Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Solitude

We all need it at some point: solitude. Some more than others but each of us, all of us, need this.

I shot this image on a beautiful autumn day. It felt more like summer than fall but the colours were definitely autumn's.

With the bright sky, I opted for an aperture of f/9.0 and fast shutter speed of 1/320. Though I didn't need the depth of field the f/9.0 provided, I didn't want to blow out the image because of the bright light. Choosing to bump up the speed also ensured a properly exposed image.

Once on my computer I added two texture layers, breaking up the negative space a bit. While some negative space was important to this composition of solitude there was too much I found it to be too stark, too bare, for the solitude to be inviting. There is a fine line between the solitude sought after in a chaotic world and the solitude that speaks of loneliness. Once I applied the layers, it was exactly as I wished the image to be.

4 comments:

  1. I find it so helpful when you talk about your technical approach - it really get's the information across by relating it to an actual picture - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maggie,
      Thank you for your comment. I'm glad it is helpful for you!!
      Be well,
      Carla

      Delete