Thursday, June 14, 2012

Vintage Steel

I love taking pictures of musical instruments. One day I will head over to spend some time with my father-in-law and get some shots of him playing his saxophone, mandolin, harmonica, guitar, and any other instrument he has that I have forgotten at the moment.

In the meantime, I will keep taking pictures of the musical instruments we have here. Today I brought my husband's vintage steel guitar outside to shoot. The overcast sky was just right for my little shooting adventure.


Using f2.8 and a shutter speed of 1/400 I snapped a bunch of photos with my prime lens.

I quite like the rough textures of the fence and grass surrounding the sleek guitar with smooth lines. It is also a little bit quirky to photograph this outside - which I also like.

Getting low to the patio I got in much closer for this shot. I enjoy how the fence echos the guitar in design, first with the wood knot repeating the shape of the tone knob and then the shape of the wetter wood on the fence bottom replicating the form of the bunched up chord, only inverted. Finally the direction and lines of the wood grain are quite similar to the lines of the guitar strings.

And finally, much closer. With the darker shadows, this one is a little more moody.

No comments:

Post a Comment