Saturday, April 6, 2013

In Your Shoes

Too often I jump to conclusions and am pretty quick to criticize people's actions. Without knowing what experiences inform the person's behavior, I label and dismiss the person as quickly as I do their actions. I certainly don't hear them anymore.

I'm not saying that my goal is to agree with everyone, it's not. I am saying there is a great deal of room for increased understanding that comes from hearing, seeing and loving my neighbor.

At the beginning of this year, instead of making a New Year's Resolution, I chose a word that would motivate me to positive action. My word is community.  It seems to me that hearing, seeing and loving my neighbor would be in line with building community.

Here's to being willing to try and understand what it is like to be in your shoes...and for being willing for you to see my shoes, too.

Here's to community.

In Your Shoes

2 comments:

  1. Great post... the world could certainly use more of this kind of thinking and doing. Currently trying to teach my older son that empathy is truly one of the most vital virtues, along with kindness (and community :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you for passing this on to your son! Thank you for taking the time to comment. Much appreciated!

      Delete