Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Framed in Love

"If we are to love our neighbors, before doing anything else we must see our neighbors. With our imagination as well as our eyes, that is to say like artists, we must see not just their faces but the life behind and within their faces. Here it is love that is the frame we see them in."
— Frederick Buechner

This quote is my facebook status this morning. These days, it seems many of us do the best we can to maintain our privacy within our neighborhoods, workplaces, churches, etc. We construct fences and walls...and our personal space grows. Don't get me wrong, some solitude is good. For those of us who regroup and re-energize in the quietness, it is a critical piece to our well being. But once we've done this, do we see our neighbors? Really, I mean. Do we see their faces and more than just their faces? And, say we do, do we frame this view with love? Or, if you're at all like me, is the frame of choice made of a solid, immovable critical spirit that won't allow for the possibility of real life stories...real life stories that expand understanding and spark a little compassion?

When I frame my work, I choose the frame carefully, thoughtfully. I think I would do well to frame my view of my neighbors with the same level of care.

Image by Tanja Askani

2 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful photo!!! And yes, we do have to 'see' our neighbors in order to truly show them godly love. But as you know, the first step is really 'seeing' God! {Matthew 22: 37-39} Unfortunately, not enough people take the time to do that either...Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. Thanks for stopping by. Blessings on you.

    ReplyDelete