Monday, June 13, 2011

Eyes Wide Open

I am reminded to keep my eyes open as I go through the moments of my days, the crazy days of June. The urge is there to close my eyes and barge through this month, celebrating at the end, not the moments but rather the survival of the moments. I've done this before and I don't want to do this anymore, especially because some of the moments involved are graduations and celebrations that are really important. But what about the other moments that don't hold quite the same fanfare and accomplishment as my daughter's grad? They too are important. They hold something for me and for those around me. They hold opportunities to discover, learn and enjoy.

As I look at this image, I see busyness in the background but it doesn't take away from the beauty of this flower.  In fact, the more I focus on the bloom, the quieter the busyness becomes. This bloom won't last the summer; its lifetime is short. What if I allowed the busyness to dictate my inclined response? I would have missed the delicate petals, the velvety textures and brilliant colours present in this tiny bloom. My eyes would have been shut and I would have stomped through and possibly over top of this gem. Thankfully, I did not and hopefully, I will not.

Be well. Be present.

No comments:

Post a Comment